It is the policy of the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science (PIMS) to admit students who are best qualified to benefit from the opportunities offered at the Institute for intellectual, spiritual, and social growth and to assume the professional responsibilities of a licensed embalmer and funeral director.
Application for admission must be submitted via the PIMS Online Application available here. All the requirements below are to be submitted by the application deadline to be considered for the most immediate start date. These items listed below may be submitted together or submitted individually as they are completed.
- A $50 application fee submitted via credit card with the PIMS Online Application. The application fee is refundable if request for cancellation is made within 5 calendar days of submitting the application.
- A professional photo, for identification purposes only, emailed to email@example.com.
- An official transcript of the applicant’s complete high school record or, in lieu thereof, evidence of a high school equivalency acceptable to the licensing agency is required. If an applicant has graduated from high school with a final GPA of less than 2.0, the applicant will need to provide PIMS with an official college transcript presenting at least 12 liberal arts or general education credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- All official college transcripts, including mortuary school, if applicable. (To be submitted directly to PIMS by the school or college electronically or via postal mail.)
- Letter of recommendation (A) from a professional person, preferably a funeral director. References shall not be related to the applicant.
- Letter of recommendation (B) from a professional person. References shall not be related to the applicant.
- Certificate of good health from a physician on the PIMS Medical Form which will be emailed to the applicant upon applying. The completed form should be signed, dated and mailed to PIMS.
- Copy of healthcare insurance card which can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed.
- Essay up to 300 words with the subject, Why I am Choosing Funeral Service as a Career, emailed to email@example.com.
Some states require college courses as a prerequisite for admission to mortuary school. Others require an apprenticeship period be served prior to mortuary training. It is important that the student become familiar with the licensing requirements of the state in which he or she wishes to practice. The Institute will gladly answer any questions concerning such special requirements or you can visit http://nfda.org/licensing-boards-and-requirements.html for an overview of all the state requirements.
Once an application is submitted and processed, the applicant will have access to the PIMS Applicant Portal available here, where receipt of application materials can be tracked via the PIMS Online Applicant Checklist.
There is an application deadline for each enrollment period. If applying for one of the campus based programs, PIMS has a rolling acceptance where the student will be notified of the Admission Committee’s decision within 6-8 weeks of applying. The student will be notified via the email of the status of their acceptance.
If applying to attend online, all applications will be collected up to the application deadline. Shortly after that date the Admission Committee meets and makes their decision on all the applications received for that term. Two to three weeks after the application deadline the student will be contacted via email regarding the status of their acceptance.
All online applicants must have a minimum of 30 college credits (21 in area 1) or required college credits mandated by their state WHICHEVER IS GREATER before applying to the online program.