The administration of the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science is constantly aware of its obligations as a school and of its responsibilities to its students, to the funeral service profession and to the public. The school motto, “Scientia, Sollertia, Servitium,” expresses these objectives in part. Translated from Latin, the motto means “Knowledge, Skills and Service.”
The major objectives of The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science, Inc. are:
- To offer an educational program that will provide more than the minimally required knowledge and skills essential in meeting the student’s needs for licensure and successful funeral service practice.
- To foster and promote ideas, theories and practices with respect to the clinical areas of funeral service while at the same time sensitize the student to ecological and environmental concerns that apply.
- To engender a sense of social consciousness and awareness within each student that serving as a practicing funeral director entails obligations and responsibilities to be met most effectively through ethical professional practices, community service and good citizenship.
- To foster the true image of the funeral director as a member of the caregiving professions engaged in community health and welfare service.
- To instill a desire for continuing education, intellectual and spiritual growth throughout the years of professional life.
- To encourage cooperation with all individuals and groups concerned with the advancement of the standards of education and research for funeral service.